I just got off the phone with a customer and they were asking me questions about cybersecurity. One of the biggest things they wanted to know is, “Why is this important?” They kept pointing out different things about cybersecurity, but the bottom line is: You need a plan. If you have no cybersecurity plan it doesn’t make a difference.
If you don’t have a plan and if you get breached — and incidents do happen — how will you react? It doesn’t matter if it’s a major or a minor breach — incidents happen,
If you don’t have a cybersecurity plan, how will you recover?
As an example: If someone takes your passwords, what is your plan?
- How will you recover them?
- Do you know where these passwords are located? Did you know: 80% of the people use the same password in multiple locations; that means more than one account can, and likely will, be breached.
- Do you remember where that particular password for the account that was breached was also used?
Why Is CyberSecurity Important?
After a while, my client understood it when I said, “if you don’t have a plan then you will fail.” People always say, “if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” He got irate with me and wanted to get off of our phone call. He said, “he didn’t have time right now to talk about this.” I said, “Well I hope you have time to run and re-do your resume and look for another job when there is a breach, it was your responsibility and you had no plan in place.” Note: He called me back within an hour.
Did you know: 80% of businesses that get hacked or have
breaches are usually out of business within six months.
If individuals are the cause of the hack, they typically get fired even if the breach was inadvertent. If the person did something, or worse yet, didn’t do something and information was released — they are gone. The company will look for a scapegoat and it’s typically the person in charge of the company’s internet security.
What can you do to be cyberaware and put a plan in place for cybersecurity?
- Start with the basics. If you have a $1 million dollar system it means nothing if you don’t have basic security measures in place.
- Make certain everyone who works at the organization knows, understands and adheres to the security measures
- Put a recovery plan in place. If you don’t know what a recovery plan looks like, give me a call for a free cybersecurity consultation at (877) 653-7146.
WareGeeks Solutions is a Roselle, New Jersey-based complete IT consultant and solutions provider. We specialist in Data Protection, specifically Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (#BCDR). We work with medium and large law firms and in the healthcare industry. If you have IT or security questions contact Seth at WareGeeks Solutions. For information or a consultation, call (877) 653-7146, or email us at email@example.com. www.waregeeks.com